Electricity via the proper cabling of wires is at the ‘core of our modern technology’. Without electric power running to and through our devices, gadgets and appliances the present world we live in would not be able to function and progress would be halted.
Electricity must be harnessed safely and conducted through proper circuits to allow us to do most things required for a better ‘quality of life’ at home and at work. We take it for granted that by flipping a switch or pushing a button we have light, we can warm our food and even converse with others across vast distances. Wiring safety is something we never think of unless we face the consequences of a brown out, black out or even worse fire.
It is important to remember that when you are at home or in office, electricity is all around you. We never think of the dangers of electricity because most will never experience the surge of its power. You are insulated from this danger because the wiring that leads to your plugs or switches are supposed to be shielded in cables that are insulated with special materials. Over a long period of time these materials may wear out due to surges, electrical spikes or other circuit overload. As a result electrical wires may become exposed and damaged. Or in some instances wires may have been connected to their respective wall plugs or switches incorrectly.
Some of the following precautions will ensure that you stay safe at home or in office.
- Never plug anything into a socket that is producing popping noises, smoking, sparking or is on fire or has been on fire. This is a sign of a potentially serious problem.
- Be cautious if there is constant flickering of lights
- Be cautious if you smell burning plastic coming due to an electrical installation (wall socket, switch or light)
- Be cautious if devices that are plugged in and constantly powering off
- Be cautious if there are signs of discoloration of wall receptacles
- Never overload sockets by daisy chaining multiple power bars or surge suppressors together to create multiple outlets
- Use the correct voltage for the correct wall plug or outlet
- Replace any electrical or charging cable that has exposed wires (insulation break) for a device or equipment.
- Keep water sources away from electrical sockets or anything that is plugged in
- Have a professional electrician check if you suspect bad wiring is the cause of fire, smoking, sparking or flickering of lights.
Ignoring a simple problem now can be the cause of a serious problem in the near future. Never take chances with any indicators of bad wiring, contact us today for an ‘inspection’ if you suspect a problem with your electrical wiring. We will wire home or business to: electrical safety compliance.